It’s amazing what taking down a little wallpaper will do for your hopes in a space. We went from this…
…in a matter of about 20 minutes the other day.
Initially I went in to test the strength of the border. Due to the painful process I went through when removing the wallpaper in the dining room, I had almost convinced myself that I could pull the border down and then paint right over the rest of the wall. Yes, I know this is not the right way to attack this kind of problem. But, hey, when you have seen the other, very ugly side of what can happen when wallpaper won’t come down easily you start to consider all kinds of crazy things. My first test strip pulled an entire sheet of the vertical paper from the wall. It looked like I was in it for the long haul. Lucky for us the rest came down with ease. The Little Guy even helped pull down the low pieces and had such a good time being destructive that at one point he stopped to tell me he was having fun. It was at that moment I realized I could no longer discuss any other wallpaper removal plans with him. I could already see him scratching at the seams in the other bathrooms of our house. I really need to take these projects in stride, ya’ know? My stride, not his.
So, we are down to the dingy white walls and I have already started scraping the paste away. For those of you wondering about the process I am following and especially for any other pregnant DIYer’s, here it is.
I am using a handheld spray bottle that I fill periodically with the hottest water I can get from the tap. I mix that about 3 to 1 with white vinegar, spray it on and let it sit for about a minute. Then using a large blade drywall scraper/trowel thing (yes, that is technical terminology there) I slide it right off the walls and into my drywall spackle tray. Yep, those things come in handy for all kinds of things. My first go at it started only minutes before the end of naptime, so I had to work fast. I was able to clean a pretty good sized area very quickly. I only have the high spots above the tile around the shower, and the area above the mirror left. I figured the area above the mirror will be a juggling act of not electrocuting myself while spraying around the lights. I’m currently trying to develop a plastic bag and tape arrangement to help keep the vinegar and water from getting to the wires. Hopefully I will get through that area this weekend and on to painting. Yeah!
But, that is where the fun stops. I grabbed a gallon of cheap-o mismatched paint from Home Depot a while back in a light beige color and after taking another look at the beige trim in the room, along with the lovely cultured marble vanity top, I’m worried it might be all wrong.
Although the trim will be painted white I’m a little scared of the similarity between my new paint and the old trim color. I was thinking of going neutral with the walls since nearly every surface is a different shade of white or cream. I know that’s pretty boring, but until that vanity top goes I cannot mask the ugly orangey-cream elephant in the middle of the room. That’s also why I was thinking I might do something fun with color on the vanity cabinets, but I think The Mister might veto that in favor of more neutral. Wuh-wah….
We will be conferencing again over the weekend on this topic. We plan to have a memo out early next week on the next steps to this ongoing process.
Thank you for your patience,