This year we are attempting to tackle the outside of the house and the yard. We have made small strides toward getting the yard we really want, and putting off some things we really need. Like, a paint job. That one is really breaking the bank right now and has been put on hold until we can figure out how to get some needed repairs completed properly before slapping a on a new coat. I never imagined it would be so difficult to find decent maintenance workers, but just getting a call back from an ad, a number in the phone book or even a referral has proven to be a full time job. After a month of hanging around, waiting for people to come over and give us an estimate I am pretty much over it. We have had bids ranging from a couple grand to new car prices. Now you can probably understand why we have taken a step back. This type of work seems to be priced all over the place and we have yet to find the best way to know if you are going to get quality craftsmanship. Having used some referrals for smaller projects in the past we have learned this first hand. You can see great work at your pal’s house, but that doesn’t mean you will get it at yours.
So, to bring this back on track, one of the items on our Yard To-Do list was to figure out a plan of attack for our shrubs and bushes out front. We are quite aware that several are really much too large and they will soon be a hindrance for anyone attempting to correct any of the siding or window trim issues, let alone painting the house. Rather than calling in the big guns and getting yet another estimate to have them trimmed and/or removed The Mister and I decided to trim them up ourselves. A daunting task, even for seasoned lawn care workers. We have very little yard work equipment, but the one thing we do have is an extension hedge trimmer and various pruning tools. Figuring we were well armed, we decided to go for it a couple of sunny weekends ago.
These first two shots show how overgrown the bushes had become. Not only are they far to tall and wide, but they were also sporting spikey tops.
The Mister spent some time on the ladder tackling the two larger bushes on either side of the front stoop.
And, while they look much better than they did, we had to laugh at how naked this one ended up after it’s initial “haircut”.
We actually plan to trim these way down, but realized that our little handsaw will not work for this part of the project. So, off to Home depot we go to add a small chainsaw to the arsenal. Hopefully this next weekend we can do a little more damage, but in a good way.
Now, for the rain to let up so the deck guys can get back out here and finish the staining process. It took long enough to find some guys we thought we could trust to do the work, so now we are VERY ready to have the work completed. Shoot, I have patio furniture to arrange, large ceramic pots to plant and lots of other ideas about how I want to spruce up the area.
Patience is a virtue…they say.